The Art of Paper Filigree

This blog is to celebrate the things I enjoy making. This includes quilling art, crafts, and cooking recipes and ideas, as well as some musings. I enjoy sharing ideas. By all means, if you want to borrow an art idea, go for it. But please, make it your own; don't just copy. If you've never heard of quilling art, I hope this introduces it as an art form and possible hobby. And I hope the pages to the right of the quilling blog posts offer up information, ideas and inspiration.

Enjoy your visit! If you have questions or comments, by all means share.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Fancy Freaky Fish!

Ok, ever since I saw a fancy fish on the home page of my quilling art supply company, I've wanted to make one. There wasn't a kit. At least, not that I could find. I didn't want to just copy anyway. I just wanted to take the idea and run with it. So that's what I did.

Curled paper. Single curls. Double curls. I made the body separate from the tail. I put a "shadow" behind the head. It's a tropical, topical, fancy, freaky, crazy fish. I mounted it on blue-green carding, added sea grasses and kelp-type thingies, a school of smaller fish, a "fly" hook with line.

The frame came with a border and smaller opening, so I fixed it up larger using balsa wood, and used sandpaper for a "sandy" bottom. Then I added shells and a river rock.
The plastic frame was black, so I sprayed a little blue and white Krylon on there to lighten it up. I wound up backing the picture with bristol board just to firm it up.

To be honest, I don't think it's nearly as good as the fish I saw on my supply store site, but I like it. This is a cool freaky fish. And it's mine.

P.S. I'll add my supply site to my links. Should have done it sooner! ;o)



2 comments: