The Art of Paper Filigree

This blog is to celebrate the things I enjoy making. This includes quilling art, crafts, and cooking recipes and ideas, as well as some musings. I enjoy sharing ideas. By all means, if you want to borrow an art idea, go for it. But please, make it your own; don't just copy. If you've never heard of quilling art, I hope this introduces it as an art form and possible hobby. And I hope the pages to the right of the quilling blog posts offer up information, ideas and inspiration.

Enjoy your visit! If you have questions or comments, by all means share.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Roses and a Butterfly

I got the "how to make flowers" book thinking that it would be handy for backgrounds. But for some reason I decided I needed to learn how to make the kind of roses that require wider, folded paper, and I decided to make a framed piece out of them. I had a hard time with them at first. The best advice I had was "patience and practice," and that was good advice. But one tip I figured out is to use a beading tool if you have one, instead of a regular quilling tool. The beading tool is just deeper and hangs onto the rose better. Here's what I made:

I just basically made a quilling art rose bush and mounted it on carding that looks like a garden shed wall. (At least it does to me.) I decided to make a butterfly to go in the picture, but needed a little something for balance off to the right, so used dried flowers.

Unfortunately I cut the carding to fit a frame I had in mind, but the roses were too deep for this particular shadow-box frame. (Second time I've done this. Must learn a thing.) I had to use a larger frame, so I had to make a border for the piece. So some good luck to offset the bad, I had some medium dark green card that looked great with it. I mounted the butterfly too.

An original verse finishes the piece prior to actual framing. Burned around the edges... just like to do that.

The finished piece. Simple... somehow the word classic springs to mind. But I think I'll focus now on some pieces that will fit in those smaller frames. ;o)

So I looked at for a few days and decided the bottom corners needed some finishing... and it needed one more rose. NOW it's finished and reframed. Time to move onto some of my other ideas. Will post anew when I've done some. :)

2 comments:

  1. wow it turned out beautiful, great job!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula! :) Now that I look at it again, I think I need to add some "grasses" on the bottom. But today is cookin' and cleanin', so I'll look at it some more while I do that and decide if it needs anything else. :)

    ReplyDelete